If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, you must maintain good communication with your insurance company. Even if you are planning on working with a car crash law firm to help you with your claim, there are several steps that you must take. It is important to remain cautious at the start of the process so that you do not disclose more information than necessary. A good thing to do is talk with a lawyer about a Saint Louis car crash settlement before disclosing too much information to avoid an unjust settlement.
When to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
The possibility that you will have to submit your insurance claim after being injured or your vehicle has been damaged in an auto accident can feel overwhelming. It is normal not to know how to get started, what you can expect, or your rights. You can prepare yourself ahead of time by having a checklist of this process’s do’s and don’ts. These are a few of the steps that you can follow when you have been in an accident seeking a Saint Louis car crash settlement:
- DO notify your insurance company or agent after the car accident or injury takes place. Once you get home from the crash, you should call your agent. Not notifying the insurance provider in a timely fashion could lead to denial of your claim.
- DO take plenty of pictures of the accident scene, injuries, and your vehicle – if you are able. You may need to show your auto collision lawyer these photos later to help support your claim.
- DO keep copies of any documentation about the process. Personal injury attorneys will want to see any insurance information, accident reports, medical bills, and repair estimates in connection with your car accident claim.
- DON’T admit any fault. Even if you think you know what happened, you need to know that the investigation might bring out more facts. Admitting fault early on, you could find out that you are wrong. The last thing you want to do is cost you the chance for a compensation claim.
- DON’T try negotiating directly with the other party involved in the accident. Remember that your accident victim lawyer is the best person to help you negotiate your claim. You must talk to a lawyer to ensure you are covered on all fronts.
- DON’T accept any estimate or value of the claim that you are given initially by the insurance company. The job of the insurance company for the person at fault is to try to minimize the payout. The claim could be worth more, so it is always best to talk with a good lawyer to help you realize the potential of the payout you deserve.
Not everyone knows how to proceed after they have been involved in a car accident. Emotions run high, and if you are dealing with significant injuries, it makes everything overwhelming. We are here to help at the offices of Craig J. Concannon, P.C., when you have a potential Saint Louis car crash settlement. Give us a call at (314) 421-3329 to set up a time for a free consultation.